Paddle Canada FW Intro to Sea Kayaking: 1-Day ‘Women’s Only’ Certified Course
This Women Only Kayaking Course is Our Most Popular Course with a twist… Sea Kayaking from a ‘Woman’s Perspective, no men allowed… SORRY BOYS!
It’s the same comprehensive 8- hour/full day Flat water Introduction to Sea Kayaking Course as the co-ed version, we simply put emphasis on women’s special paddling needs. You will learn the fundamentals of Sea /Performance Kayaking theories, strokes, rescues and recovery skills and many students return each season to continue improving. Women are extremely well suited to the sport of sea kayaking as paddling skills are more about technique and less about muscle mass, height and upper body strength. Frontenac Outfitters On-Water Kayak Centre provides a beautiful, serene environment for women to develop & refine their techniques in this Women Only Kayaking Course.
Love this course…, your next step is our Sea Kayaking Level 1 – 2 Day Certification Course.
“We look forward to our Women’s Only Weekend with Frontenac Outfitters every summer.”
– The Ottawa Girls
Women’s Only FW Intro to Sea Kayaking Course
Prerequisite: Swim 50- meters with a PDF and have a BIG smile!
Length: 8 Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $185.00 + $24.05 (13% HST) = $209.05
Note: Receive a 10% discount for using your own Sea Kayak! Kayak must be preapproved by our instructors prior to the course.
How to Book
Contact Us about customizing a date and program for a Women Only Kayaking Course (Minimum 6- Students per course)
- Retrieving swamped kayaks
- Bow rescue, T-Rescue, rafting kayaks to form a stable platform
- Kayak Types – Sea/Performance Kayaks, Touring Kayaks, Recreational and Whitewater Kayaks
- Boat Designs – learn to distinguish the compromises between price, performance, quality and safety
- Parts of a kayak, safety features, what constitutes a safe kayak
- Boat outfitting, personal fit, control & safety
- Safety equipment (mandatory & recommended) & how to use
- Paddling apparel for different weather conditions & temperatures
- Kayak paddles, the diverse selection, intention & benefits
- Equipment proper use & care
- Injury prevention, stretches & warm-ups
- Available kayaking resources
- Some of the best kayak choices for you
- Entering & exiting from shorelines and dock environments
- Wet exits & re-entries
- Balance points, initial & secondary stability
- Low brace
- Pivot & turning points
- Straight line paddling, forward & reverse
- Lifts & carries (solo & tandem)
- Forward & reverse strokes, forward & reverse sweeps, reverse stroke, draw stroke
- Low brace
- Participation individual & group
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness & self-control
- General attitude
- Receive a Paddle Canada Flatwater Certification
- ‘NEW’ Quality Sea or Touring Kayaks
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
- Cancellation for any reason within a 14-day period prior to the course/clinic will result in a forfeiture of an administration charge of $40.00 per participant.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses due to extreme weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Swim shorts, quick dry top and & towel
- Water shoes are not necessary as you will be getting in &/out at our docks
- Lots of water hydration & a full lunch
- A complete change of clothes & under garments
- An attitude for having FUN!
Note: Our lake warms very quickly so wet &/ dry suits are not normally required. But if you get cold very quickly & have a wet/dry suit by all means bring it. For those who don’t we may have some gear you can borrow.
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30–40 minutes south. Places to stay
Should you have any questions about the Wome’s Only Flat-Water Intro to Sea Kayaking Course please call 613.376.6220 or email us at [email protected]
To view the Paddle Canada website, Click Here