Delta 17 Kayak w/ Skeg Review
In 2015 Delta Kayaks gave the exceptionally quick 17 a much needed face lift! With an optimized V-shaped hull, narrower cockpit, and sleeker lines, the new Delta 17 Kayak features increased speed, tracking, and overall performance!
Here’s a peek at the other changes:
- ‘Contour Seat System’ for customizable comfort and achieving a controlled fit – additional padding has been incorporated for 2015
- Ergonomic Dual-Density Hand Holds for an easier carry to and from the water
- ‘Press-Lock’ Hatch Covers for drier storage and easier access
- Innovative ‘Bungee Risers’ Bow & Stern for spare paddle storage
- Integrated Cockpit Rim to reduce weight and chance of damage
- Addition of ‘Centre Day Pod’ for quick access to small gear items out on the water
- Recessed Deck Rigging for a sleeker, no-snag tidy look
- Tamper-Proof locking / towing point
Now that’s what we call making a great boat even better!
The Delta 17 kayak is the most efficient craft in Delta Kayaks ‘performance touring’ series that includes the smaller 15s and 16 models. Similar to all Delta Kayaks the 17 fits a very wide range of medium to larger paddler weights (170 lbs – 250 lbs) and satisfies beginners with aspirations to those with intermediate to advanced skills.
The Delta 17 kayak comes equipped with their new ‘Contour Seat System’, which provides simple adjustability (4 inches) forward and aft both on and off the water to optimize paddler contact points to give you the right fit every time! The contour seat system includes additional padding for even more comfort out on the water!
Delta’s padded thigh braces provide further contact points to improve bracing and control. Finally, adding a Delta ‘Hip Pad Fit Kit’, which attaches to the seat posts on either side totally customizes your fit. Easy to adjust Seadog foot pedals offer a flexible fit for long-legged and short-legged paddlers alike.
Kayak Efficiency & Maneuverability
Delta Kayaks 15s, 16 and 17 models incorporate virtually the same shallow vee hull design. However, the Delta 17 kayak offers more efficient hull speed due to its longer waterline length, or ‘longer footprint on the water’.
A Sharp bow cuts the water effectively, which further translates into quick acceleration and a good cruising speed with minimal effort. Tracking (the ability to paddle straight) is very good without the skeg being deployed, however deploying the skeg will improve tracking even further but there is a slight sacrifice to speed and maneuverability.
The craft sits solidly on its defined sides to edge beautifully to achieve a higher degree of maneuverability. This inspires confidence in novice paddlers as it will enable them to refine their skills more easily, while more advanced paddlers will enjoy the play side of the Delta 17 kayak.
A shallow vee hull, moderate rocker, soft chines with definition, and control-fitting cockpit combine to provide a ‘high’ degree of initial stability. Secondary stability is also rated as ‘high’ due to the defined sides of the kayak – getting the Delta 17 kayak on edge has never been easier and you’ll look like a pro doing it.
Kayak Roll & Rescue
The slightly higher deck height of the Delta 17 kayak enables larger paddlers to easily exit the cockpit after an upset. A flat rear deck provides a great platform for self-rescues and reentries.
Well placed curved bulkheads maximize strength and storage space, while minimizing the amount of water coming in into the cockpit area. Perfectly placed thigh braces combine with a seat that easily adjusts forward or aft to provide the quality fit required to successfully ‘hip-flick’ and roll the kayak back upright. The Delta Kayaks 17 rolls like a dream!
Note: For a more effortless solo re-entry we recommend having our expert staff install Quick Release Self Rescue Straps ($60 upgrade that includes installation)
“Delta Kayaks 17 is the most efficient craft in their line of Performance Kayaks. It’s rare combination of sophisticated good looks, lightweight Canadian construction, rugged durability and affordable price makes this purchasing decision easy eh!”
Hatches: The Delta 17 kayak with skeg uses 3 thermoform ‘Press-Lock’ Hatch Covers to create a virtually watertight gasket seal. These hatches offer immense dry storage – “this boat literally eats gear!”
Bow: oval 17″ x 11.75” / 43 x 30 cm, Stern: oval 20.75”x 15.5” / 53 x 39 cm, Day-Pod: 8″ Diameter / 32 cm. 2 thermoform curved bulkheads maximize storage, strength and add positive buoyancy.
Outfitting: Contoured Seat System provides simple adjustability (4 inches) forward and aft. The padded seat pan is self-draining and the padded backrest adjusts up and down instantly.
Other features include:
- ‘SeaDog’ easy adjust Footbrace System
- Kink Free’ Skeg system – skegs are spring loaded for easy deploy-ability
- Reflective perimeter safety lines, which are tied into the retractable carrying handles to eliminate loose deck rigging and cluttered lines
- Proudly 100% Canadian made (Maple Ridge B.C.) using computer-assisted designs and a superior patented acrylic Solar*Kote Thermoform capstock which is virtually indestructible and UV protected
- The Delta 17 is also available with a SeaDog ‘Gas Pedal Style’ rudder system as opposed to the drop-down skeg
- Frontenac Outfitters is the World’s Largest Delta Kayaks Dealer
- The Delta 17 kayak comes with a 3- Year Limited Warranty against defective materials or workmanship to the original owner
Experience a Vastly Superior Purchasing Process.
Frontenac Outfitters invites YOU to Paddle With Us.
We Stock Hundreds & offer Free Test Paddling Everyday!
Ontario’s Kayak Experts, since 1984
To view the Delta 17 kayak with skeg on their website, Click Here