Paddling Programs and Courses
About Frontenac Outfitters Courses & Instructors
We believe that educated paddlers are safer more confident paddlers! Frontenac Outfitters has been successfully introducing people to kayaking for over 30- Years. We offer a wide range of Paddle Canada certified & non-certified Kayak Courses, Clinics & Paddle Days to satisfy paddlers of all ages and experience levels. Our courses are designed to develop the connection between the paddler & kayak to best enable you to get more enjoyment & performance from your kayak. The sheltered, warm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake provide the perfect on-site location to refine your techniques.
Zack Fiddis (owner) is a Paddle Canada certified instructor, and teach all Frontenac Outfitters Courses. With an emphasis on safety he shares his experiences, knowledge, and love for kayaking in a relaxed, enjoyable environment.
Our Paddlesports Centre’s massive selection of kayaks, paddling gear, and secluded campsites enhance your experience with us.
Our lifelong passion for paddling has led us around the globe from the rugged Coast of B.C.’s Vancouver Island, to Florida’s everglades and the sparkling waters of the Florida Keys. We’ve experienced the splendor of Australia’s Sydney Harbor, the magnificent waterfalls of New Zealand’s Fjord Land, beyond to Central America’s Belize and both the U.S. & British Virgin Islands.
We are kayakers, let us share our expertise & passion with you!
To see a calendar of our events click here
Getting Started Kayaking: 1/2- Day Course
Our ‘Getting Started’ Kayaking Course focuses on basic strokes, correct form, safety and a fun, educational on water experience!
Frontenac Outfitters skilled instructors will teach you fundamental kayak skills in the warm calm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake… the perfect venue to enter the wonderful world of kayaking. Our Getting Started Kayaking course also focuses on kayak terminology, understanding boat design and key elements of what to look for in a kayak. How to enter & exit your kayak from a beach & dock environments. On water skills include proper paddling techniques and the importance of learning correct form. Kayak safety gear, in water kayak exits and reentries are emphasized and an assisted rescue is introduced.
Completion the Getting Started Kayaking courses provides you with the skills to quickly become an educated, responsible self-sufficient, kayaker! If you love this course (and you will) the next step is to register for our full day Flatwater Introduction to Sea Kayaking Course.
Note: As an added BONUS this year sign up for an Introduction to Stand up Paddle Boards (SUP) Course on the same day and SAVE 50% on the SUP course price!
“We’re deeply grateful for your Getting Started Kayaking course last Sunday. The rescue techniques especially gave us some experience and food for thought on handling a tip-over. Larry’s seriousness in teaching was lightened up with humor. Christine was very intent in transmitting her knowledge in ways most easily absorbed by her students, and was most concerned about safety. Leslie was good in checking out us “special students” to pinpoint unique flaws that needed addressing.Concern and competence are the hallmarks of your course, which make us extremely glad to have taken it”
– Jim & Eglantine Gomez
Getting Started Kayaking
Prerequisite: Swim 50- Metres with a PFD
Course Length: 3.5 Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $95.00 + $12.35 (13% HST) = $107.35 (Includes Sea Kayak and Gear)
How to Book
- Kayak Courses class dates & size are limited & book up quickly.
- To sign up please complete the registration form below – once completed, it is sent to us automatically and we will contact you upon receiving it to finalize payment
- Courses run rain or shine and are ONLY DELAYED by lightening!
- Boat Designs – learn to distinguish the compromises between price, performance, quality and safety
- Some of the best kayak choices for you
- Kayak Types – Sea /Performance Kayaks, Touring Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks and Whitewater Kayaks
- Safety features, what constitutes a safe kayak
- Safety Gear – what one needs to be ‘legal’ vs. what one needs to be ‘safe’…, yes sadly they’re different
On Water Skills
- Entering / Exiting a Kayak from a Dock & Shoreline
- Forward / Reverse Strokes
- Sweeps, Draws, Pivots, Rafting
- Paddle slap low brace
- Wet Exit & Paddlefloat Re-entry
- T-Bow Assisted Kayak Rescue
- ‘NEW’ Quality Sea or Touring Kayak
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, the personal gear items above should be brought with you or can be purchased prior to the beginning of the course.
- Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Swim shorts, quick dry top and & towel
- Water shoes are not necessary as you will be getting in &/out at our docks
- Water Hydration & a couple of energy bars
- A complete change of clothes & under garments
- An attitude for having FUN!
Note: Our lake warms very quickly so wet &/ dry suits are not normally required. But if you get cold very quickly & have a wet/dry suit by all means bring it. For those who don’t we may have some gear you can borrow.
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30–40 minutes south. Places to stay
Should you have any questions about the Getting Started Kayaking Course please call 613.376.6220 or email us at email@example.com
To visit Paddle Canada’s website, Click Here