Paddling Programs and Courses
About Frontenac Outfitters Courses & Instructors
We believe that educated paddlers are safer more confident paddlers! Frontenac Outfitters has been successfully introducing people to kayaking for over 30- Years. We offer a wide range of Paddle Canada certified & non-certified Kayak Courses, Clinics & Paddle Days to satisfy paddlers of all ages and experience levels. Our courses are designed to develop the connection between the paddler & kayak to best enable you to get more enjoyment & performance from your kayak. The sheltered, warm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake provide the perfect on-site location to refine your techniques.
Zack Fiddis (owner) is a Paddle Canada certified instructor, and teach all Frontenac Outfitters Courses. With an emphasis on safety he shares his experiences, knowledge, and love for kayaking in a relaxed, enjoyable environment.
Our Paddlesports Centre’s massive selection of kayaks, paddling gear, and secluded campsites enhance your experience with us.
Our lifelong passion for paddling has led us around the globe from the rugged Coast of B.C.’s Vancouver Island, to Florida’s everglades and the sparkling waters of the Florida Keys. We’ve experienced the splendor of Australia’s Sydney Harbor, the magnificent waterfalls of New Zealand’s Fjord Land, beyond to Central America’s Belize and both the U.S. & British Virgin Islands.
We are kayakers, let us share our expertise & passion with you!
To see a calendar of our events click here
Intro to Canoeing
Canoe Courses- Intro to Canoeing
Whether your new to canoeing or simply want to shake off those rusty, bad habits & refine your skills, our 3 hr. Canoe Courses provides the perfect opportunity. What you can expect to learn from our Canoe Courses are basic strokes and maneuvers, paddling with an emphasis on steering (‘J’ Stroke), as well as launching methods and canoe design & terminology.
Prerequisite: Swim 50- Metres with a PFD
Course Length: 3 Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $85.00 + $11.05 (13% HST) = $96.05 (Includes Canoe and Gear)
How to Book
Contact Us about customizing a date for your Intro to Canoeing Course!
- Boat Designs & Terminology
- Canoe Types – Tripping/Performance, Recreational, Solo
- Safety features, what constitutes a safe canoe
- Safety equipment – what one needs to be ‘legal’ vs. what one needs to be ‘safe’
On Water Skills
- Entering / Exiting a canoe from a Dock / Shoreline
- Forward / Reverse Strokes
- ‘J’ Stroke, Sweeps, Draws, Pry, Rafting
- T-Bow Rescue
- Launching Methods
- ‘NEW’ Quality Tandem Tripping/Performance Canoe
- Paddling PFD
- Canoe Paddle
- Throw Bag
- Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any of our Canoe Courses due to inclement weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring (Weather Dependant)
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Bathing suit & towel
- T-shirt, light long-sleeve shirt, shorts, undergarments
- Water shoes or sandals
- Water Bottle (we stock pop & water)
- Most Importantly… an attitude for having FUN!!!
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30–40 minutes to the south. Places to stay
Should you have any questions about our Canoe Courses please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at email@example.com
To view the Frontenac Provincial Park website, Click Here
To view the Friends of Frontenac Provincial Park website, Click Here