Paddling Programs and Courses
About Frontenac Outfitters Courses & Instructors
We believe that educated paddlers are safer more confident paddlers! Frontenac Outfitters has been successfully introducing people to kayaking for over 30- Years. We offer a wide range of Paddle Canada certified & non-certified Kayak Courses, Clinics & Paddle Days to satisfy paddlers of all ages and experience levels. Our courses are designed to develop the connection between the paddler & kayak to best enable you to get more enjoyment & performance from your kayak. The sheltered, warm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake provide the perfect on-site location to refine your techniques.
Zack Fiddis (owner) is a Paddle Canada certified instructor, and teach all Frontenac Outfitters Courses. With an emphasis on safety he shares his experiences, knowledge, and love for kayaking in a relaxed, enjoyable environment.
Our Paddlesports Centre’s massive selection of kayaks, paddling gear, and secluded campsites enhance your experience with us.
Our lifelong passion for paddling has led us around the globe from the rugged Coast of B.C.’s Vancouver Island, to Florida’s everglades and the sparkling waters of the Florida Keys. We’ve experienced the splendor of Australia’s Sydney Harbor, the magnificent waterfalls of New Zealand’s Fjord Land, beyond to Central America’s Belize and both the U.S. & British Virgin Islands.
We are kayakers, let us share our expertise & passion with you!
To see a calendar of our events click here
Kayaking on the Edge
Once you are good at the basics its time to refine your strokes, push your limits and get yourself paddling more efficiently by participating in our Kayak Edging Course!
Frontenac outfitters intermediate course fine-tunes skills like bracing, edging and some likely recoveries (when you tip over) previously learned and hopefully practiced in our Flatwater Introduction to Sea Kayaking Course. Our Kayak Edging Course is ideal for those paddling in tight corners, surfing waves, or for simply learning how to be more efficient out on the water!
Note: To better service your wants and needs Frontenac Outfitters offers the Kayak Edging Course as a private lesson.
Kayak Edging Course
Length: Determined by participant: 2-3 hour session is recommended for beginners
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre
Cost: $75.00 (per hour) + 13% HST
Note: For a group session, a charge of $35.00 per hour is applicable for each additional student.
How to Book
Contact Us to arrange your time & date!
- Kayak Designs
Chines; hard vs. multi vs. soft
- Kayak outfitting for control & safety
- Kayak dynamics
- Kayak control both above and below deck
- Injury prevention, stretches & warm-ups
- Available kayak resources
- Balance points, initial & secondary stability
- Pivot & turning points
- Forward & reverse sweeps with an edge
- Lifts & carries (solo & tandem)
- Low brace
- High brace
What we Provide
- Sea Kayak
- Kayak Paddle
- Spray Skirt
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
- Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring (Weather Dependant)
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Bathing suit & towel
- T-shirt, light long-sleeve shirt, shorts, undergarments
- Raincoat, paddling jacket & sweater (if needed)
- Water shoes or sandals
- Water Bottle (we stock pop & water)
- Most Importantly… an attitude for having FUN!!!
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30 – 40 minutes to the south. Places to stay
Should you have any questions about our Kayak Edging Course please do not hesitate to call 613.376.6220 or email us at: email@example.com