Paddling Programs and Courses
About Frontenac Outfitters Courses & Instructors
We believe that educated paddlers are safer more confident paddlers! Frontenac Outfitters has been successfully introducing people to kayaking for over 30- Years. We offer a wide range of Paddle Canada certified & non-certified Kayak Courses, Clinics & Paddle Days to satisfy paddlers of all ages and experience levels. Our courses are designed to develop the connection between the paddler & kayak to best enable you to get more enjoyment & performance from your kayak. The sheltered, warm waters of our own beautiful Pearkes Lake provide the perfect on-site location to refine your techniques.
Zack Fiddis (owner) is a Paddle Canada certified instructor, and teach all Frontenac Outfitters Courses. With an emphasis on safety he shares his experiences, knowledge, and love for kayaking in a relaxed, enjoyable environment.
Our Paddlesports Centre’s massive selection of kayaks, paddling gear, and secluded campsites enhance your experience with us.
Our lifelong passion for paddling has led us around the globe from the rugged Coast of B.C.’s Vancouver Island, to Florida’s everglades and the sparkling waters of the Florida Keys. We’ve experienced the splendor of Australia’s Sydney Harbor, the magnificent waterfalls of New Zealand’s Fjord Land, beyond to Central America’s Belize and both the U.S. & British Virgin Islands.
We are kayakers, let us share our expertise & passion with you!
To see a calendar of our events click here
Paddle Canada Sea Kayaking Level 1: 2-Day Certification Course
Paddle Canada’s Level 1 Kayaking Course is our most in-depth and comprehensive paddling course. We combine both in-class & on-water teaching environments to provide you with the theory and fundamental paddling skills required to become a confident Sea Kayaker in normal conditions. Our Level 1 Kayaking Course emphasizes a strong foundation of paddling skills, rescue, navigation & safety techniques & beyond the basics! Participants must also demonstrate a firm knowledge in Journeying and Seamanship as it applies to day long trips with a focus on navigation, weather, sea state, safety, communication & group awareness.
Note: Frontenac Outfitters Paddling Centre provides the perfect boardroom and lake environment to complete the Level 1 Kayaking Course, and our wooded & waterfront campsites make a great weekend even better.
“My retirement goal is become a sea kayak instructor & guide is now one step closer. Thanks!”
– Wayne Nicholson
Hi Chris and Larry,
“You did a great job with us at the Level I Kayaking Course on Wednesday. We really appreciated your emphasis on safety and the nice progression of skills and techniques that, later in the afternoon, found me seated submerged upside down my kayak quite confidently awaiting rescue. Someday I have to learn to roll. Thanks for a wonderful day!”
– Bob and Marg Irwin
Prerequisite: Paddle Canada Flatwater Introduction to Sea Kayaking
Length: 2 Days with approx. 8 Hours each Day
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $295.00 + $38.35 (13% HST) = $333.35
Note: For those who require a kayak for the Level 1 Kayaking Course, a rental reservation is to be made at the time of course booking. You will receive a 50% discount on the rental fee – $50 (rental rate) x 2 (days) + $13.00 (13% HST) = $113.00 – 50% = $56.50
How to Book
- Kayak Courses class dates & size are limited & book up quickly.
- To sign up please complete the registration form below – once completed, it is sent to us automatically and we will contact you upon receiving it to finalize payment
- Courses run rain or shine and are ONLY DELAYED by lightening!
- Assisted Eskimo Rescue
- Deep Water Rescue (both as victim & rescuer)
- Self Rescues without assistance
- Contact Towing
- Communication (demonstrating by attitude & action)
- Sea Kayak equipment, accessories and personal equipment
- Journey & seamanship (Trip Planning & Organization, Launch & Landing Options, Navigation & Route Selection, Compass Reading, Weather & Water Interpretations, Group Awareness & Communication)
- Kayak Fit & Adjustment
- Safety (Hypothermia, first aid, communication & emergency procedures)
- Available Kayaking Resources
- Lift, Carry, Launch & Landing
- Paddling forward, reverse & stopping
- Moving sideways
- Supporting & recovery strokes
- Stern rudder
- Paddling Strokes and Techniques (Draws, Low brace, High Brace, Forward Stroke, Forward Sweep, Reverse Sweep, Reverse Stroke, Sculling Draw)
- Participation individual & group
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness & self-control
- General attitude
- Receive a Paddle Canada Sea Kayaking Level 1 Certification Card
- ‘NEW’ Quality Sea or Touring Kayaks
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, the personal gear items above should be brought with you or can be purchased prior to the beginning of the course.
- Courses are non-refundable; however, a credit is kept on file in the instance of a cancellation. This credit can be used towards a future course or purchase.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course or clinic due to inclement weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring (Weather Dependent)
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Bathing suit & towel
- T-shirt, light long-sleeve shirt, shorts, undergarments
- Raincoat, paddling jacket & sweater (if needed)
- Water shoes or sandals
- Kayaking Trip Log (if you have one)
- Any kayaking rescue or safety gear you use
- Pen, pencil & notebook
- Any reference material you may wish to share with the group
- Water Bottle (we stock pop & water)
- Lunch (on full-day courses)
- Most Importantly… an attitude for having FUN!!!
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30 – 40 minutes to the south. Places to stay
Should you have further questions or concerns about our Level 1 Kayaking Course please call 613.376.6220 or email us at Frontenacoutfitters@gmail.com
To view the Paddle Canada website, Click Here