Paddle Canada’s FW Intro to Sea Kayaking: 1-Day Co-ed Certified Course
Paddle Canada’s Flat water Introduction to Sea Kayaking is Frontenac Outfitters the most popular of our Kayak Courses year after year! Our comprehensive 8- hour/full day, co-ed kayak courses teach you the fundamentals of Sea Kayaking theories, strokes, rescues, and recovery skills. Be ready to spend the day on, in and yes under the water… and love it. Our Flat water Introduction to Sea Kayaking Course is highly recommended by everyone who has ever taken it and many students repeat this confidence building course season after season to further hone, develop and refine their kayaking skills. Love this course…, your next step is our Sea Kayaking Level 1 2 Day Certification Course.
Note: These kayak courses often fills up weeks to months in advance so EARLY Registration is highly recommended!
“We encountered 12- ft waves on our first day out in the Fox Islands and the kayaks and paddles handled amazingly well. Thanks to Christine’s great lessons we were able to dance on the waves with huge smiles on our faces. We put in several 30- km days and it was breathtakingly beautiful. Thanks again for your expertise, support & guidance!”
– Shelly & Denis McKay
“Just wanted to thank you for an exceptional day yesterday. I think everyone who took your Flatwater Sea kayaking course would agree that it was a great day. We all left feeling more confident with our paddling skills and that, in the event that we tip… we would survive! You all work so well together as a team; we will definitely feel positive about recommending your business to everyone!”
– Pat Humphrey
Kayak Courses – Flat-Water Intro to Sea Kayaking
Note: July 22nd kayak courses are conducted at Frontenac Provincial Park. Meeting place remains at our shop, and we will shuttle participants down to the park once the full group has arrived.
Prerequisite: Swim 50- Meters with a PFD and have a BIG Smile!
Course Length: 8 Hours
Location: Frontenac Outfitters Canoe & Kayak Centre’s Pearkes Lake
Cost: $185.00 + $24.05 (13% HST) = $209.05 (Receive a 10% discount for using your own pr-approved Sea Kayak)
How to Book
- Kayak Courses class dates & size are limited & book up quickly.
- To sign up please complete the registration form below – once completed, it is sent to us automatically and we will contact you upon receiving it to finalize payment
- Courses run rain or shine and are ONLY DELAYED by lightening!
- Retrieving swamped kayaks
- Bow rescue, T-Rescue, rafting kayaks to form a stable platform
- Kayak Types – Sea/Performance Kayaks, Touring Kayaks, Recreational and Whitewater Kayaks
- Boat Designs – learn to distinguish the compromises between price, performance, quality and safety
- Parts of a kayak, safety features, what constitutes a safe kayak
- Boat outfitting, personal fit, control & safety
- Safety equipment (mandatory & recommended) & how to use
- Paddling apparel for different weather conditions & temperatures
- Kayak paddles, the diverse selection, intention & benefits
- Equipment proper use & care
- Injury prevention, stretches & warm-ups
- Available kayaking resources
- Some of the best kayak choices for you
- Entering & exiting from shorelines and dock environments
- Wet exits & re-entries
- Balance points, initial & secondary stability
- Low brace
- Pivot & turning points
- Straight line paddling, forward & reverse
- Lifts & carries (solo & tandem)
- Forward & reverse strokes, forward & reverse sweeps, reverse stroke, draw stroke
- Low brace
- Participation individual & group
- Kayaking skills
- Group awareness & self-control
- General attitude
- Receive a Paddle Canada Flatwater Certification
- ‘NEW’ Quality Sea/ Performance Kayaks
- Kayak PFD
- Kayak paddle
- Paddle Float
- Throw Bag
Note: If you are using your own pre-approved performance touring kayak, the personal gear items above should be brought with you or can be purchased prior to the beginning of the course.
- Cancellation for any reason within a 14-day period prior to the course/clinic will result in a forfeiture of an administration charge of $40.00 per participant.
- Frontenac Outfitters reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses due to extreme weather or lack of participation
Suggested Stuff to Bring
- Wide brimmed sun hat
- Sunglasses (we sell eyeglass holders & floaters)
- Sunscreen & lip balm (waterproof)
- Swim shorts, quick dry top and & towel
- Water shoes are not necessary as you will be getting in &/out at our docks
- Lots of water hydration & a full lunch
- A complete change of clothes & under garments
- An attitude for having FUN!
Note: Our lake warms very quickly so wet &/ dry suits are not normally required. But if you get cold very quickly & have a wet/dry suit by all means bring it. For those who don’t we may have some gear you can borrow.
Places to Stay
- We offer on-site wooded & waterfront campsites at $25 per night
- Country style B & B’s are nearby, or endless accommodation in Kingston is 30–40 minutes south. Places to stay
Should you have any questions about the Flat-Water Intro to Sea Kayaking Course please call 613.376.6220 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the Paddle Canada website, Click Here